I'm reading a book at the moment called 'Explain Pain' by David Butler and Dr Lorimer Moseley, its easy reading and explains pain very well. Just so happens, we had a lecture on the mechanisms of pain the other day and much of the content was taken from this book! In the near future I'm hoping to contact Dr Moseley as I have been told he is actively researching CRPS and mirror therapy at Oxford University, I think it would be really neat to hear from him anything that might be interesting or useful in my quest for more knowledge.
I really like their book and am thinking of buying it at some point. It would be a great addition to my growing collection of resources and also an asset for my future patients.
It was interesting to hear our lecturer said that we really should be spending a lot more time studying pain and also more psychology too as we are dealing with people, usually in pain all day. This is who physio's deal with so we should have more understanding of pain and how it affects people in a more biopsychosocial dimension.

Leads me to the next thing...I've just started seeing a psychologist.

It took me a bit to actually admit that this might be helpful and then to admit I was going lol. But the more I read, the more I understand how chronic pain affects more than just the physical side of us but also affects the psychological side. I'm hoping that it helps some, even now its nice just to have someone to talk to, someone you don't feel guilty burdening with all the crazy stuff that is spinning round in your head. We haven't got very far as yet because I am a complicated person but he thinks that my emotions are causing a lot of strain on me physically so I guess we see where this takes us. If it has the potential to help, I'm willing to give it a try.

1 comments:

Tough Cookie said...

Yippee! Congrats! This will be a life changing decision for you. Therapy is fantastic!