I had a follow up session at the pool with my physio yesterday. I was so tired and had no energy but I made myself go even though I was very tempted to cancel.
She was so so impressed with my progress, it was so rewarding seeing how happy she was-it made all the pain so worth it!

She said she had been worried with how I was last week and that if I hadn’t improved much or not been able to control flaring then she would recommend I get the nerve block. Since I have progressed so well, we will just remember that it is available and if required later the option is still there.
A week of doing it alone I am now able to deal with the pain much better so I can push myself and focus on what I am doing without having to stop so much. I did have points of having to stop, take a few deep breaths and then carry on but that is much better than crying. I now have better plantar and dorsiflexion at my ankle though still very stiff mid foot, she is not worried about this at the moment, we will deal with this later. So for now I am carrying on with kicking on my front and back and the walking in all directions adding bouncing and bigger steps with these. I also have to do stretches as much as I can in the water, watching my form and then some pushing off from the bottom alternating each foot as I instinctively cheated by accident!
She got me to pretend that I was kicking a ball in the water and I found this really hard-I couldn’t remember how to kick a ball! She says she wants to try and get me back to being able to, I wonder if that is really possible? Its really quite exciting the possibilities this has if I really put my mind to it.
When I get rid of this cold thing I will be able to do more but just now I’m having trouble with my breathing and coughing so I just have to watch how hard I push myself.

Its actually a lot more work than just the time spent in the pool each day too, I then have to come home and use my TENS and do mirroring to ward of flaring and I know doing this is really important in controlling the pain. And it is really energy draining so I don’t have much left in me to do anything else but as time goes on I think I will have more energy for other things as well.

Overall, I am really pleased with the week’s progress, its much further than I imagined I would come and although I know I still have a long way to go, I can see that it is possible and that I can do it. World just watch out! I have been empowered-I can see the possibilities that my pain team are opening up for me as long as I accept the challenge…

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Yay, that's so wonderful to hear! Yes, imagine the possibilities of being empowered and how exciting to think of regaining something lost like that.

Well done on getting yourself to continue with the therapies; sounds like it's all worth it. Reassuring for me, too.

Anonymous said...

Butterfly...
Take the DAMNED ANTIBIOTICS and stop being so damned stubborn...
Don't make me come up there and snap you like a twig...
because you know I could...
But I'd do it in love, as always...

Hope all the other "stuff" is going well,
Remember, don't over do it,
I know you want to go at 100 miles an hour, but 50 will still get you there, just a little slower...

The holiday is time to GET WELL...

And, yes I am taking my own advice for a change,
Accept for yesters when I definitely overdid it and today I pay the price....

Stubbornness can be a real pain in the glutes some time...

Talk later